The following are notes from Jeremy Holbrook from EJ Swanson’s OC16 Presentation
Habit #1—Organize to be organic
- When you get in the habit of thinking steps not programs, kids are more likely to end up where you want them to be.
- The structure that we have needs to build on relationships growing in an organic way.
- The goal isn’t structure, it’s relationships.
- If you’re organized in the structure, you’ll become more organic for growing relationships.
- Sometimes you have to stop doing something that works if you want something more important to work better.
- When you get into the habit of thinking steps not programs, kids are more likely to end up where you want them to be.
- When you make faith a part of the rhythms of life, it becomes more fluid, more natural, and more about their day-to-day life.
- Empower the Leader: Because the scope of your influence is determined by the success of your leaders.
- Why do ministries take the summer off? It’s when kids/students have the absolute most free time.
- We need more out of volunteers, not less.
- When you get in the habit of expecting more from your small group leaders, your small group leaders will lead in ways you never expected.
- If you want your small group leaders to give kids a place to belong, then maybe you should go first by giving SGLs a place to belong.
- Playing favorites doesn’t work in overall ministry, but it sure makes sense for Small Group Leaders.
- When your best leaders recruit your best leaders
- Your SGLs are some of the biggest cheerleaders of your ministry
- When recruiting leaders is a process, not an event
- When leaders practice leading before they lead
- When you create a place where leaders want to be
- You know that what you say in the moment can be said better if you anticipate what you area going to say (or not say)
- Will kids in the group process what they’re learning…how can we guide them will our words?
- If you want kids to know they belong when they are in group, make sure they feel like they belong before they get to group.
- You don’t always see your environment the say way a first time guest sees it.
- What if I can get the 1 time per month kid to start coming 2 times per month?
- A kid will feel known when someone knows them.
Jeremy Holbrook is the pastor for children’s ministries at Wildwood Church in Ashland, Kentucky.