By Kent Woodyard
As I finish up my second year in the online and mobile giving “biz” I’ve been reminded again of that old cliché: “the more things change, the more they stay the same.”
Here’s what has changed: over the past 24 months there have been tremendous improvements to both text and mobile-web technology to the point that giving your offering from your phone has become as quick, easy, and immediate as checking a Facebook status.
Here’s what has stayed the same: The number one objection raised by pastors and church leaders toward digital giving is still how expensive it is.
The time has come for pastors and church leaders to reshape their conversations around the “costs” of online giving. With so many elder boards and deacon teams weighing whether or not their church can afford to add a digital giving option in 2015, the conversation needs to change. The question is not can your church afford online giving. The question is can you afford to NOT have it. Here are three reasons why:
- Because cash and checks are on their way out (and have been for some time now). If you’re still not convinced of this, consider this tidbit that I ran across last week: 2 out of 5 Americans say they carry less than $20 in cash on their person. Or what about this gem: in 2012, 93 percent of all transactions in the United States were completed electronically. Ninety three percent! And yet so many churches are relying on the remaining 7 percent to fund 100 percent of their ministries! Don’t let this be the case at your church.
- Because the largest generation in history wants to give to your ministry. Ready or not, here come the Millennials! By 2020, they will make up 46 percent of the U.S. workforce. By 2017, they will account for over $200 billion in annual spending. If they don’t already comprise the majority of your congregation, they will soon. These young people want to give, but guess what: they don’t have cash and they don’t know what a checkbook is. What other options are you providing?
- Because you’re missing out on 15 to 20 percent of potential giving every year. And that actually might be a bit conservative. Time and time again, churches who add online giving (and make an effort to incorporate it into the culture of their church) experience dramatic increases in overall giving. And it’s easy to see why. Online giving allows your members to give more frequently and in larger amounts. A quick and easy recurring giving solution can transform your church’s finances nearly overnight.
And we’re only scratching the surface! What about online giving’s ability to automate many of those time consuming (and expensive) administrative processes? What about scheduled giving’s ability to alleviate the seasonal dips in giving that so many churches experience? What about mobile giving’s ability to facilitate generosity anytime and anywhere? The list goes on.
Considering all of this, there is another question that pastors and church leaders should be asking themselves: if you’re not ready for online giving now, when will you be?
Kent Woodyard is the Director of Business Development for Mogiv, a multi-channel giving platform created specifically for pastors and churches. If you’re looking for a new or improved giving platform, he’d love to talk with you more. Mogiv’s simple online giving form allows your attendees to create one-time and scheduled gifts right from your church’s website! Not only that, Mogiv also offers the flexibility of an integrated text giving solution. And best of all? Mogiv does not require ANY startup fees, subscription fees, or contracts. All you pay is a small processing fee. Check ’em out today at mogiv.com.